If you're from the British Commonwealth you'll more than likely know what a Sausage Roll is- however, they're not nearly as common here in the U.S.! They're a delightful treat for either a Potluck, Party or just for a comforting dinner at home (perfect with Salad!).
The ingredient combination sounds strange- but I can assure you they are delicious! Even if your family isn't Vegetarian / Vegan- these are less than half the calories and fat of regular meat-based Sausage Rolls!
As this recipe makes a lot (32 sausage rolls) I often divide it in half. However, you can also wrap them up individually after cooking and freeze them and reheat them in the oven as necessary!
Serve them with lashings of Ketchup (aka 'Tomato Sauce') and enjoy!
Gourmet Veg*n Sausage Rolls:
1 Onion, roughly chopped
2 Carrots, peeled & grated
2 Green Onions, chopped
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1/2 cup Italian Breadcrumbs + extra for garnish
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 cup Pecans
1 cup Quick Cooking Oats
2 cups Cottage Cheese (Vegan Subsitute Recipe Here)
3 Eggs or equivalent Egg Replacer
Salt & Pepper to taste
5 Sheets Puff Pastry (Pepperidge Farm brand is Vegan)
Milk or Almond Milk for Brushing
Sesame Seeds for Garnish
1) Combine Onion, Green Onion, Garlic and Pecans in Food Processor until nuts are lightly ground
2) Add Eggs, Soy Sauce, Breadcrumbs, Cottage Cheese, Salt, Pepper and Carrot and process until well combined
3) By hand, stir in Oats
4) Place mix in the fridge and defrost 5 sheets of Puff Pastry
5) Once Puff Pastry is defrosted, cut each sheet in half
6) Place a 'sausage' of the mixture about an inch wide and 1/2 inch high all along the long length of a piece of the pastry, about an inch from the edge (if you're used to regular sausage rolls, the mixture will seem more watery but don't worry, it will become more firm when cooked)
7) Fold up both sides of the pastry and seal to create a long 'log' with the filling in the middle. Cut into 4 sausage rolls.
8) Repeat with the rest of the pastry
9) Place sausage rolls carefully on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper
10) Lightly brush each sausage roll with Milk or Almond Milk (this will help the pastry become more golden)
11) Sprinkle with Breadcrumbs and Sesame Seeds
12) Bake at 425 F for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown
13) Serve with Ketchup and Salad or piled high on a large platter for company!