Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday Supper: Hungarian Pot

Good Morning!

Because I'm all about structure (is it from being a military girlfriend then wife for almost 4 years?) I've decided to do Sunday installments called Sunday Supper. Technically, this week I'm cheating because I actually made this meal for dinner last night. Tonight, we're having my Retro Veg*n Not-Meat-Loaf and mashed potatoes and veges, and as you already have that recipe I'll do Saturday night's meal instead!

I'm honestly not sure if this dish has any other name- I picked it up somewhere and it is yummy in a simple, homey way. This morning, we had leftovers with scrambled eggs! Perfect! Also, I know that you can add carrots and other root vegetables to this if you so desire, just use less potato. So without much further ado, here's the recipe!

I know it doesn't look anything special, but it tastes good!





Hungarian Pot:

Ingredients:
14oz Kielbasa Sausage, chopped (I used Tofurky Vegan Kielbasa)
1 Onion, diced
4 Russet Potatoes
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
Olive Oil
Paprika, to taste
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Parsley

Method:
1) Wash and Peel the potatoes (peeling is optional). Put in large pot and cover with water and bring to boil on Medium High / High Heat
2) Once potatoes are cooked through (but not too soft) turn out into colander to drain water and allow to cool for a few minutes.
3) Meanwhile, heat on Medium, a couple of tablespoons of Olive Oil in deep frying pan
4) Add diced Onion and Garlic and sautee until Onion is translucent 
5) Add Paprika (I use about 1 tsp), Salt & Pepper and mix
6) Add chopped Kielbasa and stir to combine with flavors
7) Dice cooked Potatoes and then add to the frying pan. You may need to add a little more Olive Oil.
8) Cook on Medium-Low heat for 15-25 minutes or until Potatoes are slightly crisp on the outside and turning golden brown
9) Taste test- you may need to add more Paprika, Salt or Pepper
10) Sprinkle with Parsley and stir through. Serve Hot with a Side Salad or freshly cooked Greens.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to cook this sometime this week. My husband has been begging me to make something in line with his family history (they're basically Czech/Hungarian) and this will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete