Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wednesday Reads: Better Homes & Gardens Holiday Cook Book

Hello Dolls!

As Holiday Season is fast approaching, for this edition of Wednesday Reads I'm bringing you the Better Homes & Gardens Holiday Cook Book from 1959! I was fortunate enough to pick up a copy in perfect condition for just $1.99. 


The book features the following chapters:
New Years Eve
February Days 
St. Patricks Day
Easter
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas
Foreign Fare
Birthdays and Anniversaries
Coffee, Tea and Punch Parties
Table Setting Tips

I think the Foreign Fare chapter is particularly delightful. I have another Better Homes & Gardens cookbook from the era called Meals with a Foreign Flair and I just love the retro take on Asian and Polynesian style cooking!

The book also features a lot of beautiful, full page photos of the lovely retro recipes featured. Check out this cute Halloween spread! It's decidedly non-spooky / icky compared with what we're accustomed to today!



Here's a section from the Foreign Fare chapter showcasing the beautiful layout of the book and the delightful drawings throughout.


If you have never tried Better Homes & Gardens vintage Cake Recipes before- you are missing out! I find that their cake recipes are often the best I will ever taste! I haven't tried those featured in this book yet however.


Your entertaining and Holiday needs from January to December are all covered in this charming book!


One thing that I do find a constant challenge, is converting retro recipes to being Vegetarian or Vegan friendly. Obviously, where there's a will there's a way but some books I find are too meat-centric. With this book however, I would say that at least 75% if not more of the stuff was easily converted. 

I've been on a half hearted mission the last couple of years to collect all of the Better Homes & Gardens cookbooks from the late 50s and early 60s and I'm already making quite a dent. This one however has quickly become one of my favorites. 

Look for it on Etsy or Amazon today!

Stay Glamorous!

1 comment:

  1. I like this book, and you were fortunate enough to find it and it at a good price - $1.99. You certainly can't beat that! I think with a book like this, I would find myself just simply looking at all the photographs, lol!

    Hopefully, you'll share how you've converted some of the recipes in this book to be more on the "vegetarian friendly" side. :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete